Henry Fonda Quotes

1. I've been close to Bette Davis for thirty-eight years - and I have the cigarette burns to prove it.





2. No one could have nicer sisters. No sibling problems there.

3. My whole damn family was nice. I don't think I've imagined it. It's true. Maybe it has to do with being brought up as Christian Scientists. Half of my relatives were Readers or Practitioners in the church.

4. My thinking was scrambled when Sullivan and I separated. Something happened to me that had never happened before. I couldn't cope. It was heartbreak time. I thought it was the end of the world.

5. It has to do with the fact that Ford, for all his greatness, is an Irish egomaniac, as anyone who knows him will say.


6. I'd just as soon not get into a discussion about Jane and her politics. I'd just as soon stick to what we're here for, the picture.



7. I must have had faith that day. When I went out, I was Henry Fonda again. An unemployed actor but a man.

8. I found myself facing a Christian Science Reading Room. My God! It had been eight years. There had never been any renunciation of religion on my part, but like so many people, it was a gradual fading away.

9. I don't know what was in his mind, but I do know Ford was stricken by what he had done, by hitting me.

10. Ford didn't know what to do with Mister Roberts that wasn't repeating what was successful in New York. He was trying to do things to the play that would be his in the film.

11. For me, college wasn't a breeze. I had 8 o'clock classes, I worked from 3 to 11 at the Settlement House. On weekends, if Northwestern Bell needed me, I'd troubleshoot for them, and I had a steady girl. God!


12. I didn't help or discourage them or lead them by the hand. I'm not trying to set myself up as a good father, because I wasn't a good father. But I think I knew instinctively that if they did make it, they would like to know they'd done it on their own. I recognize all the problems my children have had, and I don't claim any credit for what they've become. They've become what they are in spite of me. (on Jane Fonda and Peter Fonda, 1976)

13. I don't want to just sell war bonds. I want to be a sailor.

14. If there is something in my eyes, a kind of honesty in the face, then I guess you could say that's the man I'd like to be, the man I want to be.

15. I look like my father. To this day, when I walk past a mirror and see my reflection in it, my first impression is: That's my father. There is a strong Fonda look.


16. When I first agreed to do it, the screenplay by Irwin Shaw was fine, but what happened? King Vidor used to go home nights with his wife and rewrite it. All the genius of Tolstoy went out the window. (On War and Peace (1956) and referring to author of book Leo Tolstoy)



17. He had instinctively a beautiful eye for the camera. But he was also an egomaniac. (on John Ford)

18. He was so egomaniacal. He would never rehearse, didn't want to talk about a part. If an actor started to ask questions he'd either take those pages and tear them out of the script or insult him in an awful way. He loved getting his shot on the first take, which for him meant it was fresh. He would print the first take - even if it wasn't any good. (on John Ford)

19. I guess I go overboard to avoid taking credit for the image I have. That's why it's easier to live with myself. I don't feel I'm totally a man of integrity. (speaking in 1978)


20. I can't articulate about the Method because I never studied it. I don't mean to suggest that I have any feelings one way or the other about it. I don't know what the Method is and I don't care what the Method is. Everybody's got a method. Everybody can't articulate about their method, and I can't, if I have a method - and Jane sometimes says that I use the Method, that is, the capital letter Method, without being aware of it. Maybe I do, it doesn't matter.

21. I'm not that pristine pure, I guess I've broken as many rules as the next feller. But I reckon my face looks honest enough and if people buy it, Hallelujah.

22. Baby it out. That's an old marble shooter's expression for approaching your target cautiously instead of trying to take it out with one shot.


23. I hope you won't be disappointed. You see I am not a very interesting person. I haven't ever done anything except be other people. I ain't really Henry Fonda! Nobody could be. Nobody could have that much integrity.


24. Next to Clint Eastwood's father, he personally had done more for Clint Eastwood than anyone else. (about Sergio Leone)

25. I don't want to be in a fake war in a studio.

26. Jane came this close to being Barbara Stanwyck’s daughter. (referring to the flirtation that happened during the set of "The Lady Eve")


27. I despised that film. You can't tell an audience who saw only the movie: "You should've caught the play." (Talking about his movie: "Mister Roberts")




28. Everyone who is close to me knows I’ve been in love with Barbara Stanwyck since I met her. She’s a delicious woman. We’ve never had an affair. She’s never encouraged me, but dammit by wife will verify it, my daughters and son will confirm it, and now you can testify to the truth.

29. Love scenes are difficult for me not just because they’re in front of camera. I’ve never felt like a terrific lover on screen or in private.


30. It’s difficult for me to meet new people. I’m not easy to talk to. I don’t have ready conversation.









31. Jim Stewart and I played together in a thing called "Firecreek". You know, someone had the bright idea of making me the villain. I played a bad guy who tried to kill Jim Stewart. Now, any man who tries to kill Jim Stewart has to be marked as a man who’s plain rotten. You can’t get much worse than that.

32. I don’t like funerals and it’s in my will that there won’t be one, not even a memorial.


33. I’m not a religious man, but I thank God every morning that I lived long enough to play that role. On Golden Pond, how can I describe the experience? Magic, I think. Magic!


34. I don't think there's anybody better when he wants to be good.

35. Good God, look at the Orioles. I always knew Baltimore was a sneaky town.


What do you think of Henry Fonda's quotes?

Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!


Comments

Popular Posts