Aretha Franklin Quotes

1. Being a singer is a natural gift. It means I'm using to the highest degree possible the gift that God gave me to use. I'm happy with that.


2. My faith always has been and always will be important to me.

3. And I was booked once to go on "Ed Sullivan" and I got bumped and ran out the back door crying.

4. Don't say Aretha is making a comeback, because I've never been away!


5. Falling out of love is like losing weight. It's a lot easier putting it on than taking it off.

6. I always felt rock and roll was very, very wholesome music.

7. I saw the Supremes when they were still singing in little black skirts and white blouses.

8. I sing to the realists; people who accept it like it is.


9. I think the hardest thing is losing weight. That's the hardest thing more than anything else.


10. I'm a big woman. I need big hair.



11. I'm the lady next door when I'm not on stage.

12. I've never recorded anything I didn't like.


13. If a song's about something I've experienced or that could've happened to me it's good. But if it's alien to me, I couldn't lend anything to it. Because that's what soul is all about.




14. Let's start with the church. As you know, it's my background, it's a natural setting for me and it's definitely my roots.


15. Now, occasionally I will still have that quarter pounder because I love fast food, but you have to keep it to a minimum.







16. Yes, I've always been fashion conscious.

17. 52 years of recording for other people. I thought at this point, it's time for you to record for yourself. So that way there wouldn't be so many spoons in the soup. There would just be one Aretha spoon in the soup.


18. I did graduate from the fax. I went to the laptop, and ummm...I don't go on Facebook, I don't Twitter, I don't do any of that. I text, but I forget to check my texts, you know, I'm so used to faxing, I never go to the texts, and when I do there's like 500 messages.

19. It's hard. When you love food, and when you've done a high energy concert, you know, a carrot is not gonna work.

20. The brother that gets me is going to get one hell of a fabulous woman.

21. Trying to grow up is hurting, you know. You make mistakes. You try to learn from them, and when you don't, it hurts even more.

22. I might be just twenty-six, but I'm an old woman in disguise…twenty-six goin'on sixty-five.


23. I'm gonna make a gospel record and tell Jesus I cannot bear these burdens alone.






24. People outside Memphis see us on TV during Elvis Week and they think everyone here is like this all the time.

25. It was real old school, and it just kind of took you back to those days when groups were singing on the street corners and stoops of Detroit.


26. I still have another couple of duos that I'm working on… I really would like to finish that ASAP and get it out.





27. I don't think I can carry it, but I am absolutely thrilled to be receiving this award…does not come to California very often.

28. Is James Moody living in San Diego?


29. I don't think they did know what to do with me… But what they did do is establish an audience for me among some very important people, and that audience included Leonard Feather, who was the jazz critic at the time. I was fortunate enough at the time to get the No. 1 position in Downbeat, Playboy and a number of other magazine music polls.

30. A fellow Detroiter, Wilson Pickett was one of the greatest soul singers of all time. He will absolutely be missed. I am thankful that I got the chance to speak to him not too long ago.


31. People are happier with everything. I think probably they just, kind of, were not thinking Detroit being the musical city that it is. I think the focus was probably more on the game at that time than the artists that the city could offer.





32. I didn't think there was enough, by any means. And it was my feeling: "How dare you come to Detroit, a city of legends - musical legends plural - and not ask one or two of them to participate?"


33. We were a little upset initially. Detroit is a city of music legends, and we thought it would be remiss to come all the way here and not use at least one artist from Detroit. But I'm appreciative of the fact that they did ask me to do the halftime show several times before, and the anthem this time.




34. What they said to me was that they were doing it in honor of the Katrina evacuees. The music has been designed to reflect the musical influences of New Orleans. I like what they did. I like very much what they did.



What do you think of Aretha Franklin's quotes?



Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts