Emily Browning Quotes

1. I'm a massive daydreamer. I'm constantly lost within my own fantasies and my own thoughts personally, and I think maybe that is sort of represented in what we do for a living, the fact that we make believe everything and we escape into these other characters for a living.


2. (on what you bring as an artist) You can't judge it and you can't analyze what you do, because what you bring is original and beautiful and special.



3. After Hollywood, you know if people are interested in you or in the fact that you've been in a movie. You know who your real friends are.

4. (on a scene that was cut in "Sucker Punch") I had a very tame and mild love scene with Jon Hamm. It was like heavy breathing and making out. It was hardly a sex scene…I think that it's great for this young girl to actually take control of her own sexuality. Well, the MPAA doesn't like that. They don't think a girl should ever be in control of her own sexuality because they're from the Stone Age. I don't know what the f… is going on and I will openly criticize it, happily. So essentially, they got Zack to edit the scene and make it look less like she's into it. And Zack said he edited it down to the point where it looked like he was taking advantage of her. That's the only way he could get a PG-13 (rating) and he said: "I don't want to send that message". So, they cut the scene!

5. If people love what I do, that's fantastic. And there's always going to be people who don't, and if I focus on that, then it'll destroy me. I have to just worry about my own opinion and the opinions of the people I'm working with and people who are close to me. Otherwise, it'll drive me crazy.

6. I've been acting since I was a kid, so I just feel confident in the fact that I can do it to some degree. I've never thought I was amazing; I've just thought: "I know this, I can do it."

7. In my everyday life I'm a little bit nervous and not particularly brave. I feel like if I can be completely brave in my work then I'm doing something right.



8. I'm into video games, but only real specific lame video games.

9. The only problem I have with American money is that it's all kind of the same color, so I'm always having to look. Whereas with Australian money, you have purple, blue, yellow...We keep it nice and simple.

10. With young people, there's often that carelessness, allowing yourself to get into danger - recklessness, I suppose.

11. I'm a very private person. I find it very daunting to have to give private parts of myself away to people, you know?


12. The thing is, I actually feel a lot more comfortable at school just bumming around with my friends than I do at Hollywood parties. But then, I guess you're just never happy with what you have.



13. A strange thing happens to me that I'm sure happens to a lot of actors when the camera starts rolling. I'm not "me" any more.


14. I went to this weird little hippie primary school and we did a lot of plays. The first one was "Alice in Wonderland" and I played Alice. It was all in Italian - it was such a bizarre school.


15. There have been a few times when I've read a script and it's really cool but the girl character's just kind of pathetic. It's not going to do me any favors just being "the girl" in a cool movie.



16. It is frustrating when in an interview people say: "Give us your make-up tips" and "How do you stay skinny?" I think: "Do you ask a guy that?"

17. What we're supposed to do as actors is be able to portray real human beings and emotions. And if you grow up in this bubble of showbiz and you only know people who make movies, you don't really have an understanding of the world outside.

18. For me, I see filmmaking as art.


19. I'm not going to do a pop album anytime soon. I'm not going to dye my hair blonde and wear pink mini-skirts.

20. With my boyfriend, we can make sexist jokes to each other because we know it's absolutely not true. If I get home from a long day and he says: "Go on, get in the kitchen," it's funny because we know it's not our lives.


21. Often, people who want to make interesting films simply don't have the money to do it.

22. Being from Australia, I've never even touched a gun. It's so not a part of our culture.

23. For me it would be unhealthy to be a method actor; I'm not mentally stable enough for that - I need to separate my two worlds.

24. I recorded the song with Marius and it worked out. And then Zack asked me to sing another song and then they asked me to sing another song and it just sort of happened pretty organically.


25. "Sailor Moon" was my favorite cartoon of all time, and I'm still kind of obsessed with it. I own all the DVDs to watch it at home.

26. I can cry at the drop of a hat. I've always found that easier than laughing in films.

27. What we do to ourselves to look a certain way is crazy.


28. I have to just worry about my own opinion and the opinions of the people I'm working with and people who are close to me.


29. (about "A Series of Unfortunate Events") Obviously, you can't have every little thing from the books, because the books are like really detailed, which, you know, which works for the books, and doesn't work so much for the movie. Or else it would go on, and on, and on. But I think it will be as much like the books as we can make it.


30. When you act, you really have to give all of yourself, and if you're doing that purely for money, it's not healthy.

31. I prefer to make a film that people have a really intense reaction to than have a film that people feel ambivalent about.


32. (on her co-star (brother in "Lemony Snicket's A series of Unfortunate Events") Liam Aiken) We fought all the time over stupid stuff. He always thought he was right, and I always thought I was right. Of course, I was right!

33. I know a lot of parents of kid actors I've worked with have pressured them into acting, but my parents are different. I'm really lucky to have them because they let me make my own decisions.





34. I tend to over-analyze things. I'm not the type of person to flip a coin and let things happen.

35. I need to push myself. I'm not saying that I just want to do anything that's shocking, but when you have that combination of a script that's really beautiful and extremely shocking, it's exciting for me.


36. The whole point of our job is to be able to realistically portray a human being and if you don't experience life, if all you experience is acting and being on set, how on Earth are you going to be able to connect to real people and portray these characters? I realized if I want to do this, I have to have a life.

37. I usually hate going around and doing press. It sort of stresses me out.



38. I'd rather make an interesting film that gets people talking, that maybe some people hate, than make the kind of "entertaining" film that everyone feels ambivalent about.


39. I was lucky - the first eight productions I auditioned for, I got cast.



40. I've actually got turned down for a lot of roles because I'm not bubbly enough. People have told me to be more "up", but I can't, really. I find it hard to be smiley and giggly all the time.


What do you think of Emily Browning's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts