Dolph Lundgren Quotes

1. (on "Masters of the Universe") I was just this kid who played this one role, this Rocky role, and was going to follow it up by playing an American hero. It was tough - the opportunity, the expectations. I had fun working on the actual movie. It was very physical, and I was just getting used to being another person, where what people perceive you as being is different than what you actually are. That's what stands out when I think of those years, and when I think of those roles.

2. (Arnold Schwarzenegger) is my role model since he is successful but, as an actor, he is not (my role model). I prefer Sean Connery, Mel Gibson and Harrison Ford. They, too, started as "beefcakes" but have since established themselves as acknowledged actors.


3. (on his directing career) I'm influenced by Clint Eastwood. He's a guy who started as an actor, a television cowboy, one regarded lightweight. He's now a super heavyweight, and he's worked his way there by hard work. He's directed 29, 30 movies, you know. I'm at five. Sylvester Stallone is at 15-20.

4. It's still a strange experience to me when people come up to me at airports and bring pictures to be signed. It's kind of flattering but one way I like to stay focused is using my training. I can remember what it is like when you spar with somebody and he hits you and you go: "Oops, this is real life!"

5. My sensei was a British karate champion named Brian Fitkin. He was my mentor and because I had a hard relationship with my dad, he became a father figure to me.




6. I think mortality makes you live a fuller existence. When I was a kid I was scared of death, and maybe that's what made me desperate to get the most out of life.



7. Jackie Chan, I've known him, he's a great guy. I know he's very watchable and fun. He's perfect, actually.


8. (on "The Punisher") That was fun. We shot that in Australia - there was a lot of fight training, and they brought in fighters from a dojo in Japan. Since I used to train, talking to those guys was a lot of fun. They didn't really understand about cameras, that it wasn't real, that you didn't need to hit the guy for real. There were two young Japanese fighters, and we had to teach them that you shouldn't kick the other guy in the face with any force. That was also an over-the-top role.

9. I wanted to become an engineer, or get a masters in business. But I had the opportunity to do films when I was about 25 and it was a great way to express myself.



10. I usually pick up a scar a movie.


11. When I was a teenager, my dad used to put a lot of pressure on me to be successful, and I'd really beat myself up about things like losing martial arts competitions.

12. I've actually always been into suits. But I never really wore them, I guess because I was too young and it didn't feel right.


13. Playing He-Man was pretty much my lowest point as an actor, it was a kids movie. How much could I do as an actor when I was running around in swim trunks and chest armor? There was talk of my doing a second one, but I wasn't available, and from what I understand, the whole idea of a sequel fell through.

14. I do a little bit of yoga-style meditation. Relaxing and breathing even just one minute a day makes a big difference.

15. My problem is that people get intimidated by someone big and beautiful like me. They hate to think I can be smart as well.


16. I was incredibly shy when I first got into the business, I still am to some extent. I've overcome that shyness through contact sports, but I wanted to find that same confidence interacting with people through acting instead of in the ring.


17. Nicolas Cage is a great actor and he's done some good action movies too.


18. Action films are an extension of Greek myths which have been around since Homer's "The Iliad". Everybody's life has some mythical quality. You struggle against obstacles, you fight to get to a higher level and there are great loves. With an action film it's just more apparent. That's why people will always love action movies.

19. (on his role in "The Expendables") I play a mercenary who's part of Sly's team. He's kind of a victim of the violence. He ends up getting fired by Stallone. Later in the picture, some other sinister character trying to get back at Sly and his people, hires me to take him out. Because I need the money, I do it. There's a showdown between me, him and Jet Li.



20. There are a lot of great athletes who stop working out, and they get out of shape like everybody else in their 30s and 40s.


21. When I started studying acting in New York, I didn't plan to be an action hero. I just wanted to learn acting because I felt it was something I needed to try to do for myself, to express something, my inner pain, or something I couldn't get out. Then I got caught up taking my shirt off and strapping a machine gun on to shoot people. There wasn't really much acting - you couldn't have done too much with those roles no matter how good you were.

22. When I got cast in "Rocky IV," I had never seen a film camera before. And here I was in this boxing movie.


23. I was a movie star before having the chance to become an actor, so now I'm trying to backtrack.

24. I try to keep the martial arts up. It's a good thing, not just physically but also for your mind.


25. Your body's made to run, to walk, to trek long distances and carry things, work in a forest, and hunt animals. You have to keep it alive to function.






26. I think by planning an exercise regime, your diet follows to some extent.


27. Hollywood is great for entertaining people, it's a wonderful business but it's make-believe, you must remember that. That's one of the most important things to remember and the distinction in your own life, otherwise people get lost in their own fame, and it makes them unhappy.




28. Having bodyguards is just part of being famous, I think.


29. (on landing "A View to a Kill") It was a "right place at the right time" kind of thing. I was there with my girlfriend at the time, Grace Jones. She was in the movie. I was just on the set. I was auditioning for "Rocky IV" at the time. But I was hanging out, and someone was missing who hadn't shown up, and the director pointed at me and said: "Hey, would you like to be in the movie?" And I said: "Yeah. What do I do?" And he said: "You have to stand there and point a gun at Christopher Walken. When I tell you to, point the gun and stand there". I guess I hit my mark and didn't screw it up too bad, and the director said: "Hey, kid, you have a future in the movies". I didn't know the extent of it, then. It was fun. It was great to watch Chris Walken working - I didn't know anything about acting at the time, but it was interesting to watch him work. It was very unpredictable. I remember during rehearsal, he would not do anything, just mumble. And people were just looking at him like: "Jesus, this guy is awful". But when the camera rolled, it was night and day. I remember the actor he was playing opposite being so shocked - just standing there, not knowing what to do. Walken would come at him from every angle: with rage, with this, with that. He was just in shock, like: "Wow, what a great actor". That was a great experience. Grace was there too, of course. She beat up a few people, I remember. In front of the camera, anyway.



30. At least once a week, I try to have one day where I have nothing planned so I can get up and just go back to bed and lay around and recharge my batteries.


31. I prefer to channel my problems and inner demons through a character. Another persona. That protects me and my family. I can get my frustrations out that way. Nowadays, it's changed. People like to lay their whole life, and all of their own secrets out in front of the world. They make money off of it, and find satisfaction that way. I personally don't believe in that. I think it can be hurtful to yourself and those around you.

32. I used to play drums when I was a kid, play the trombone.


33. (on "Johnny Mnemonic") I enjoyed designing a character which was very different from me. He walked different and talked different, and used body language like a street preacher, and had a wig and a long beard. I remember my agent showing up on set, and he walked up to me and said: "Hey, have you seen Dolph Lundgren?" I guess my outfit worked. It was fun. Keanu Reeves was in it, and we had a little fight scene. It was before "Speed" came out, so he was only sort-of well-known. But I enjoyed that experience. It was also fun to play a smaller role. It was the first time I played a supporting role and didn't have to carry the movie. It wasn't heavy, I didn't have to work almost every day, and then I was done with my part.

34. I've just tried to play my own game and treat everybody with respect. No matter who they are. That is something I'm proud of and I feel it will always pay off.




35. I was turned down at my first audition for Rocky IV for being too tall. I was 6ft 5in and you were supposed to be 6ft 3in maximum. I didn't know what the casting call was for and I just showed up, they asked me how tall I was, I said 6ft 5in and they said: NEXT!


36. I discovered martial arts, first judo and then karate, and I became quite good at it, because I had something to prove. And more than anything, I needed to feel safe.





What do you think of Dolph Lundgren's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts