Joan Osborne Quotes

1. One guy stood outside telling us the hot dogs were no good and to give him all our lunch tickets. The hot dogs were excellent. He just wanted a few more.  



2. I stumbled on this little scene. And little by little, that scene took over my life…You could make a living being a blues musician. There were a lot of clubs where you could play this type of music every night. And a lot of roots rock clubs, and bands like the Holmes Brothers, Chris Whitley and Blues Traveler playing opposite sides of the street corner. And a lot of camaraderie. Nobody was thinking of record deals, so there wasn't any feeling of competition.



3. But the experience was so great. That's what the music is about, the band and the audience elevating each other. I worried that it would be people sitting back and judging me. But it wasn't like that at all.


4. It's funny. If I had plotted a course for my career, I would have done something more akin to what Alison Krauss does…She stays within the same field of bluegrass, and getting deeper and deeper into that well. And you create this expectation on the part of the audience.

5. If something's real successful, that's the obvious thing, to try it again.


6. With me, it's so eclectic and all over the map that no one knows what to expect…It may not be a great career move, but all these things - singing with the Funk Brothers and the Dead, singing a Dolly Parton song - is great. I'm welcome to all these different worlds, and that's been wonderful.


7. I remember very vividly being taken to church when I was young. I was raised Catholic until I was about 8-years-old, and was very captured by the ritual of it - the smells of the incense in the church and the very somber rituals. I kept thinking that I saw Jesus walking around behind the altar and kept looking for him and thinking that he was hiding back there. I remember telling my parents that I wanted to become a priest, and they told me I couldn't because I was girl. I remember being taken aback by that and very impressed with a sense of injustice, as some little kids definitely have that sense of injustice. I think that might have been the first crack in the foundation of my Catholicism right there. But I was always swept away by the feeling of the spiritual space inside the church and by all of the trappings - the beautiful clothing and the lovely stained glass windows, and being very much a marker (that) this is a special space inside this church. This is where we come to do something different than we do in the outside world.


What do you think of Joan Osborne's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts