Monica Lewinsky Breaks Silence On Bill Clinton Scandal

Monica Lewinsky recently referred to the Bill Clinton scandal in ways she has never done so before.

Lewinsky, now 41, attended the TED Talk in Vancouver, Canada on Thursday where she opened up about the inappropriate relationship.



"At the age of 22, I fell in love with my boss," Lewinsky admitted, noting: "At the age of 24, I learned the devastating consequences…Who didn't make a mistake at 22?"


"Not a day goes by that I am not reminded of my mistake, and I regret that mistake deeply," the former White House intern went on, pointing out: "In 1998, after having been swept up in an improbable romance, I was then swept up into the eye of a political, legal, and media maelstrom like we had never seen before."


"This scandal was brought to you by the digital revolution," Monica said, adding: "It was the first time traditional news was usurped by the Internet, a click that reverberated around the whole world."


"Now, I admit I made mistakes - especially wearing that beret. But the attention and judgment that I received - not the story, but that I personally received - was unprecedented. I was branded as a tramp, tart, slut, whore, bimbo and, of course, "that woman." I was known by many, but actually known by few. I get it. It was easy to forget "that woman" was dimensional and had a soul," Lewinsky explained.


"In 1998, I lost my reputation and my dignity…I lost my sense of self. When this happened to me, 17 years ago, there was no name for it. Now we call it cyber-bullying," Monica declared.


"Public humiliation as a blood sport has to stop. We need to return to a long-held value of compassion and empathy…I've seen some very dark days in my life. It was empathy and compassion from friends, family, coworkers, even strangers that saved me. Empathy from one person can make a difference. Compassionate comments help abate the negativity," Lewinsky was quoted as saying.

"Because it's time. Time to stop tiptoeing around my past…Time to take back my narrative. Anyone who is suffering from shame and public humiliation needs to know one thing: you can survive it. I know it's hard. It may not be painless, quick, or easy, but you can insist on a different ending to your story," she concluded.


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts