Eartha Kitt Quotes

1. My recipe for life is not being afraid of myself, afraid of what I think or of my opinions.




2. I am learning all the time. The tombstone will be my diploma.

3. Don't depend on other people to be responsible for you. Don't make yourself stressed out over nonsensical things like material things.

4. I never take anything for granted. I may slip any minute.




5. My house was bugged. They couldn't find any information on me being a subversive because I happen to love America; I just don't like some of the things the government is doing.

6. The river is constantly turning and bending and you never know where it's going to go and where you'll wind up. Following the bend in the river and staying on your own path means that you are on the right track. Don't let anyone deter you from that.

7. Orson Welles was one of these people who was defying everything the doctors told him he wasn't supposed to be doing. He was really enjoying himself when he was eating what he wanted to eat.



8. You don't move just because you want to go from this point to that point - the body has to be using the words as well as you vocally use the words.

9. Dr. Einstein was not successful in school, but he found something in the air from his own imagination and his own brain power, and look what he did.


10. I used to teach dance lessons.

11. Having my animals or my children with me exorcises that feeling of not being wanted.

12. I punish myself more than anybody else does if I am stupid about my actions, and I suffer, really suffer.

13. I was given away. If your mother gives you away, you think everybody who comes into your life is going to give you away.




14. I've always said to my men friends: "If you really care for me, darling, you will give me territory. Give me land, give me land".

15. Jewelry, to me, is a pain in the derriere, because you have to be watching it all the time.


16. Let's take care of the necessities first: give people jobs, and find a way to get us out of poverty.


17. Live theater to me is much more free than the movies or television.



18. Just because you are different does not mean that you have to be rejected.

19. We're not thought of in terms of color because we are entertainers. We are there to entertain you not because we are black, white, pink, or green or gay or straight or because we are Catholic or Protestant.


20. The public has become my fairy godmother.




21. When the people who are responsible for our country ask you a direct question, I expect them to accept a direct answer, not to be blackballed because you are telling the truth.

22. This is where you see the truth of entertainment, because it is not edited. You see it on stage as it is happening. Even if we fall down or forget our words, it's a part of live entertainment.


23. When we want to have our own style of living, it is nobody's business but ours. What we do in private is our private business.

24. It's all about falling in love with yourself and sharing that love with someone who appreciates you, rather than looking for love to compensate for a self love deficit.

25. Let's take care of the necessities first: give people jobs, and find a way to get us out of poverty.


26. As long as we are not trying to change somebody else to be like me, or like you, or like him, or like her, what's your problem?


27. Dallas is where Kennedy was shot, and that's where I was put in jail.

28. Everything should be done with moderation and using common sense.

29. I always believe in living in the country, because that's where what I eat is what I can put back in the dirt.


30. I am always trying to eat the right kind of foods that are going to keep me healthy.





31. I am still confused because I still don't know who my father is. And so who is my mother? The feeling is still there.

32. I am supposed to be, according to what I am told, one of the children of the cotton plantation owner's sons. If I could prove that, I'd own the whole goddamn everything.


33. I came back to Broadway because I was asked to be in Timbuktu.



34. I don't believe in bringing children into the world out of wedlock.



35. I have been nominated three times. I have the little pieces of paper to prove it.

36. I love being in America. I used to love traveling and I am glad that I was able to go around the world. I still love to go to Europe, but I always want to come home.


37. I said to the president's wife, Vietnam is the main reason we are having trouble with the youth of America. It is a war without explanation or reason.


38. I sent my daughter 40 roses last November because I thought she was 40. And she laughed her head off. She is not going to be 40 until this year!

39. I was in Paris with a ballet company in 1947.


40. I was invited to a luncheon with 49 other women to give my opinions about the problematic situation among young people. They wanted me to talk about why is there so much juvenile delinquency in the streets of America.






41. I was the only woman they would ask to have lunch with them. The guys were so interesting. You don't know what the hell they are talking about, so the best thing to do is be like a sponge and listen and absorb.


42. I was trying to find out who my father was. They say that at that time, that if you are illegitimate, the father doesn't have to put his name down on the certificate.



43. I would like to be writing more because people are constantly asking me questions, and I write down what they are asking me.

44. I'm still with that feeling that I am afraid of doing the wrong thing, because somebody is going to punish me.


45. If you ask me a question, I am going to give my opinion.



46. It's best if you can do things with a sense of humor and finesse.




47. Thank God you've got a sense of humor, or you'd be in trouble.

48. The boys that were running away from America because they didn't want to get involved with the Vietnam War had come to me. They would tell me how they felt.


49. This production of Cinderella, it's very integrated. The stepmother is played by a man, and we have Asians, blacks, whites, gay boys, straight boys. It's all wonderful.





50. When my baby was born I had to know how to save her in case she fell in the pool or something like that. I went to one of these nursing places to learn how to take care of the child.


51. Young ghetto boys thought that in this society, the good guys lost and the bad guys won.









52. When I played Helen of Troy with him (Orson Welles) in Time Runs, he'd kiss me. One time, he bit me. I ran to him when the curtain went down and I said: "Why did you bite me?" and he said: "Well, I got excited." (Harper's Bazaar 2007)


53. I don't go for very handsome men. Like they say in England, toy boys break too easily.(Harper's Bazaar 2007)








54. Well, a gentleman who wrote (the late 1960s TV series) Batman said he wrote that character especially for me. He said: "You are a cat, you look like a cat, you act like a cat." (on saying she is still playing Catwoman - Harper's Bazaar 2007)


55. I take life for what it has to offer me. I don't get aggravated about (getting older). The wrinkles on my face are a natural process, so why should I get angry? (Harper's Bazaar 2007)



56. I walk at least two, three miles a day. If I can't get outside, I'll do weights. The weight I have here in my hand is eight pounds. (Harper's Bazaar 2007)


57. I'm walking around the room with weights around my ankles. I'm also lifting my eight-pound weight in one hand. (Harper's Bazaar 2007)




58. I'm very happy with what the gods have given me. I take life as she presents herself to me, and whatever you see in my face is what I have earned. (Harper's Bazaar 2007)

59. I don't have to have the biggest house or the biggest car or the longest mink, but quality of life is really glamorous. (Harper's Bazaar 2007)


60. I thought Britney Spears was absolutely marvelous in the beginning. But now I think she's gone off the deep end. (on Britney Spears - Harper's Bazaar 2007)



61. I was called a naughty girl only because I was singing naughty songs. (Harper's Bazaar 2007)

62. I've always accepted applause as making me feel worthwhile. I hope I die being applauded. Just put a chaise longue under me and let me go. (Harper's Bazaar 2007)


What do you think of Eartha Kitt's quotes?

Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts