Gena Rowlands Quotes

1. I think the ones that have the most difficulty are the glamour girls. I never played any glamour girls, so it wasn't a problem.


2. (on working with Bette Davis on the TV movie "Strangers: The Story of a Mother and Daughter") When they offered that part opposite her, I didn't want to do it. I thought, what if all my illusions were broken? But I couldn't resist the temptation. She's no pussycat - she's just a great and independent artist and I loved every minute working with her.


3. After you play a part, you think of it as your own.

4. Getting a good role is hard for anyone.

5. But you base everything on people you know.

6. And now both of my daughters - one is making a documentary and the other is about to start her independent movie, too.

7. (on her role in "A Woman Under the Influence") I knew many girls who had had breakdowns. I drew little touches from each of them and a lot from myself. I don't mean I'm really going mad, but I'm a little crazy - we all are - and sometimes I let things go.


8. I always do make a back story for myself, but I'm not sure how necessary it is. I just like to.

9. I just like to do something that I'm interested in. I don't want to spend any number of days doing something that I don't like.

10. I like subtitles. Sometimes I wish all movies had subtitles.


11. I never look at my past work, movies or anything, because you can run them in your mind, every movie you've been in.

12. I can never have a poker face. Anybody looking at me can tell exactly what I'm thinking.


13. I love independent filmmaking. I don't agree with a lot of it, but that's the point.






14. It was when "A Woman Under the Influence" played at the New York Film Festival. It would be hard to top that. It was one of the most extraordinary nights of my life.


15. People in independent film have a passion; they're not in it for the money.





16. I think everybody has tried the Ouija board...I used to be into astrology and such, but then I got more fatalistic about things. I'd rather be surprised.

17. The thing about acting is you don't want to let on how enjoyable it is or then everybody would want to become an actress. But it really is. It's a pleasure to go and exchange your identity.


18. We had a great deal of freedom when John acted. We traveled a lot and it was fun. But with directing…really. I think people don't have all their marbles who prefer directing to acting because you write for three months, you cut for maybe six months. He's the most terrifying perfectionist about what he wants. As an artist, I love him. As a husband, I hate him.

19. I like to think that Mrs. Asher is a lot stranger mother than I am. I hope that that's true. She's one of the strangest characters I've ever played.


What do you think of Gena Rowlands quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts