Ellen Page Quotes

1. (on her 19th century Halifax home, a former brothel) I come in at night and expect to see some transparent slut at the top of the stairs.


2. I do think I'm totally romantic, it's disgusting.

3. To be in a position, at my age, where I am financially independent, I can help develop things, I can promote stuff that I believe in, I can say no a lot and spend time writing - that is a gift.


4. (on "Hard Candy") It was an intense movie and the response was polarized - which was great, because it stuck in people's minds. That film has helped me immensely.


5. I grew up playing sports, but now I feel like I can't, because if I get injured, I'll impair whatever film I'm working on.


6. The quality most important to me, in the films I make, is honesty.


7. I don't care if people like my character. I just want them to think about the movie's message.

8. I loved that this girl was mature in some ways, and naive in other ways. "Juno" is different from what we normally see in films about teenagers - but, at the same time, she has a lot in common with most of the people I knew in high school. There are a lot of really intelligent teenage girls and boys who are unique and don't just listen to and dress like Britney Spears, and who don't just want to f... the hot guy.


9. There's no big budget Canadian movie. Whatever movies are big budget in Canada come from the States. Or also have States financing. Everything's pretty small.




10. For the role in "An American Crime", when I played someone who was starved and tortured, I lost a lot of weight, and my body and my mind were drained. After that, people told me: "You really need to do a comedy". And I said: "I am - I'm playing a 16-year-old who gets pregnant!"


11. It's much simpler to be tortured on camera or to be filmed losing your mind. Whereas a script that has characters who are honest, witty and genuine…is often much harder to act.

12. You can choose who you want to be the hero (in "Hard Candy"), but you'll be second-guessing yourself -there's just no right answer. Our society is obsessed with finding good and finding evil, but I think we're all capable of anything.


13. Anyone who gets me is really lucky because I'm not really crazy about jewelry or flowers.





14. I'd ice-skated before, because I'm Canadian and that's what you do as a kid, but I'd never, ever been on quad skates.

15. I'm obviously not an actor for awards but of course it's exciting and it's lovely when people like what you did.


16. (in the UK newspaper The Guardian, responding to being asked about the controversy aroused by her role in "Juno") I am a feminist and I am totally pro-choice, but what's funny is when you say that people assume that you are pro-abortion. I don't love abortion but I want women to be able to choose and I don't want white dudes in an office being able to make laws on things like this. I mean what are we going to do - go back to clothes hangers?

17. Brad Pitt has not sent me a card, no, which I'm furious about!

18. When I was 12, I realized I was very uncomfortable having my parents on set. So I told them that, and they understood.


19. (on her idol Patti Smith) I would just tell her that I adore her, and I think "Horses" is one of the greatest albums of all time. Her music paralyzes me. It is so beautiful, and it makes me want to rip my clothes off and run through the streets!

20. Usually, I could care less if my friends see my movies or not. In Nova Scotia I like to leave my job behind. So when friends say: "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't see that one", I don't care. But "Inception" was different. I was like: "Go see this!"


21. When I was 5, someone thought it was smart to let me watch "The People Under the Stairs." It might not even been that scary, but I do remember skinned people in cages under the stairs and a man who lived in a wall without a tongue...And that's why I cry after sex.


22. As a girl, you're supposed to love Sleeping Beauty. I mean, who wants to love Sleeping Beauty when you can be Aladdin?


23. They (her terrier-cross named Sprout and 10-year-old beagle named Julie) are just the greatest little things on the planet. I'm so in love with them it's crazy and they keep me from going out partying because I'm like: "You know what? My beagle is going to get me up at 6am because it's breakfast time, so I've got to go to bed". Going home to Nova Scotia and spending time with my dogs and being close to nature just helps me remain whole and hopefully I'll continue to keep the rest of the world in perspective.

24. (on working with Woody Allen on "To Rome with Love") People prepare you for the first meeting and tell you it will be very short. And it is. I think I met him for seven minutes. I've never worked with a director who is as quiet and reserved. And that was weirdly intimidating. Not that I need someone to tell me I'm doing a good job. I don't. But his quietness made me wonder if what I was doing and what he was seeing was working.

25. I went to Oregon to study permaculture and lived in an eco-village for a month outside Eugene. It's called "Lost Valley". It was amazing and exactly what I needed. You're learning how to live in a holistic way with the cycles of the Earth. At one point I was digging goat manure and putting it into a wheelbarrow, and while shovelling it, I just went: "Oh, my God, this is exactly what I want to be doing right now".



26. Judging people you don't know for things you don't understand is just really stupid.


27. I'm not a fancy person. I love small spaces. I like tiny cars. I don't buy things, aside from music and books. I don't get loads of attention and maybe it's because I'm kind of boring. I don't think I'm boring, but I have different interests. I don't go out much, not because I'm hiding but because I'm not a big drinker. I go out and have a good time, I go to concerts and stuff.

28. I feel fortunate that since I started acting at the age of ten I've had lovely people in my life, who are still in my life, who are older and have been there for me in a way that is supportive, but separate, from the work I do.

29. (on her weirdest dream) I'm in the delivery room, and I'm in labor. It's not painful, but I feel - off. There's something wrong. Also, I notice that I'm wearing roller skates. The doctor, who's Drew Barrymore for some reason, tells me to push, and I do, and I hear the nurses kind of gasp. I ask what's wrong, but no one will tell me, not Nurse Eve or Nurse Juliette Lewis or anybody. I push one more time, just so I can see what's wrong with the baby, and suddenly Michael Cera comes out, fully grown and covered with afterbirth. "Ellen, what's up?" he says. "Wanna get a burrito after this?" I scream, and that's when I wake up.

30. Yeah, people following me down the street and at the airport and all that. I can't imagine what it must be like for people who are, you know, actually famous.


31. I'm a huge fan of the program "Democracy Now," which is hosted by Amy Goodman, and I subscribe to the podcast.


32. My nipples could cut diamonds.


33. I grew up working in Canada so everything was low budget.

34. I'm a tomboy from Nova Scotia.


35. I didn't really play dress up when I was a kid, and I'm really T-shirt and jeans-y.



36. I'm actually just playing honest, whole young women.

37. I have trouble sometimes watching actors - even when they do a great job - with an accent.


38. I've become really interested in permaculture, simplifying my life and doing everything I can to develop more of a sustainable lifestyle.




39. I hate how box-office failures are blamed on an actress, yet I don't see a box-office failure blamed on men.



40. The relationships I've had with my girl friends are so powerful and meaningful. Without them I truly don't know what I'd do.


41. There are a lot of things I love about acting and one of the things I love the most is, here you are taking words off a page, working with someone you might have met just a week before, and somehow you're creating a moment that separates itself from space and time. You feel an incredible rush when you have that moment with another actor. You can feel it bounce off one another. Every take you do can reveal different things that were hiding. And things outside the story get revealed to you, too. It's an incredible way to work and to experience a story.


42. I love nicknames. It makes me feel loved. It makes me feel less alone in this world.


43. I would rather be working none stop all day. I would rather be just emotionally exhausting and physically exhausting, and sit down for maybe half an hour at lunch and than keep going until the day is done rather than wait around all day.


44. There's obviously a lot of tragedy in comedy; I really enjoy the paradox of what a really good comedy is.

45. I think a lot of the time in films, men get roles where they create their own destiny and women are just tools, supporters for that.


46. When I feel strongly about something, I'm not so quiet.

47. I love playing roles that are physical, absolutely love. Whether it's just that kind of basic level of physicality or whether it's stunts.


48. I'm here today because I am gay. Maybe I can make a difference to help others have an easier and more hopeful time.


49. When we're growing up there are all sorts of people telling us what to do when really what we need is space to work out who to be.


50. And I think it's really easy for people to point out hypocrisy in people's lives.


51. "X-Men" is massive, like nothing I've ever experienced. But great in its own way.

52. I think there's a tremendous amount of guilt that goes on between mothers and daughters, no matter how good or bad their relationships are.


53. But I've never been really rebellious. I've got a lot of support and I'm not pushed so hard that I feel like I'm going to burn out, which is what happens to a lot of actors in their early twenties.


54. And I've shot in Prince Edward Island winters, I mean, I've shot in some intense, intense temperatures.


55. I love sport, I grew up playing sports, that's all I did, and it is so invigorating now that I'm supposedly adult to learn something completely new, from the bottom up.

56. I was maybe 10 or 11 when I saw "Titanic." And, yes, I was a fan. I loved it.


57. I really hope that we'll have a sustainable future on this planet, I really do. So I probably geek out mostly about learning more about how potentially we can hopefully make that happen, hopefully we're not too far lost.

58. I always take the time to eat well and eat locally because it's common sense.


59. I think it's obvious when you're watching a movie, and there's people fighting or someone's slipping on the side of the building, that it's fake and it really removes you from it.


60. I think, because I've been working for a while, I've been working since I was ten, I had the fortune of reading a lot, a lot of scripts.


61. I think the Smart Car is awesome. The only problem is I've been on the freeway and felt like I was going to be blown away like a Tim Hortons coffee cup, so I may have to upgrade to a Mini Cooper - something a little stronger.

62. I don't really want to do the Hollywood thing. I think you ought to try to say something with your movies.


63. The thing I like about acting is being able to lose yourself completely in someone else. I'm not that comfortable when I get recognized.



64. I'm kind of getting more excited about developing my own stuff, or getting involved early in projects and doing my best to make things that I care about happen.

65. I wish I was a teenager in the 1970s.


66. I'm not good at watching stuff that I'm in at all. I should stop. I shouldn't watch something for the first time with a room full of people at Sundance. It's not a good idea.




67. I don't want to become unhealthily attached to what I do. I'm grateful for what I do, but I also want to be able to be OK when I'm not doing it.

68. What I like about the film ("Juno") is that it tackles an issue that we often treat as this really heavy, dark event and we look at it with a different perspective. She's extremely independent. She finds adoptive parents before she even tells her parents. I just think it's nice to not dwell in darkness.


69. I've always been drawn to stories and telling them; whether it was through being a part of theater when I was a little kid, or film, or with music, there's just been an innate desire to feel that connection.


70. I'm a huge Sissy Spacek fan.


71. (on her slight frame) I'm a total shrimp, which makes me look younger. I'll be able to stay in that area longer, which is good, because there's more competition in your 20s.

72. Mind you, "Roman Holiday" - which is kind of a romantic comedy - is one of my favorite films, and I think Audrey Hepburn is absolutely phenomenal in that movie.


What do you think of Ellen Page quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts