Rita Wilson Diagnosed With Breast Cancer, Has Double Mastectomy And Reconstructive Surgery

Rita Wilson has just announced that she is currently battling breast cancer and recently underwent a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery.


"I have taken a leave from the play Fish in the Dark to deal with a personal health issue. Last week, with my husband by my side, and with the love and support of family and friends, I underwent a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction for breast cancer after a diagnosis of invasive lobular carcinoma. I am recovering and most importantly, expected to make a full recovery. Why? Because I caught this early, have excellent doctors and because I got a second opinion," Wilson, 58, told People, noting that her husband Tom Hanks and family have been a blessing.



The actress revealed that her first diagnosis did not feel right, so she got a second opinion, and that's when the sad news. 


"I share this to educate others that a second opinion is critical to your health. You have nothing to lose if both opinions match up for the good, and everything to gain if something that was missed is found, which does happen. Early diagnosis is key," Wilson explained, adding: "I feel blessed to have a loving, supportive husband, family, friends and doctors and that I am the beneficiary of advances in the field of breast cancer and reconstruction. I am getting better every day and look forward to renewed health."


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts