Maya Rudolph Quotes

1. I like being a funny lady. I think there's nothing sexier than a funny lady.


2. I thought Roseanne Roseannadanna and I had the same haircut…kind of pyramid-shaped. There was just something about her, and she had my hair! I thought: "I want to be that when I grow up."



3. I learned the enormous power of writing for yourself, especially now that people seem to be receptive to the fact that women can write.


4. When I got the job on Saturday Night Live, they never said: "You have to be a known impressionist." It's one of those things that comes with the job, and you're lucky if you can do it. I've been doing it my whole life, I just didn't notice I was doing it.

5. There's the power that comedy gives you, and the enjoyment. It's like "Yes, you're deferring pain, but isn't it more fun to laugh while you're doing it?"

6. I come from a very creative family that isn't afraid to express their real self and they're able to wear who they are on their sleeve.



7. (on having 3 kids and a career) I thought: "Just make it work". I had people that I trust telling me that we'll make it work. And here we are, trying to make it work. I think it's all doable.







8. I feel I've definitely become more of a woman because of my job…that, and turning thirty.


9. If there's ice cream present, ordering is a no brainer. I think all of us need to have ice cream whenever possible. My go-to is mint chip.



10. No, no, no. Your accent is so beautiful.



11. Donatella Versace gave me pointers - a lot of them. She said she would never wear fake diamonds. I let the costume department know.



12. I don't look my best when I wake up. But, I do feel beautiful when I'm tired and happy and I've had a good laugh and a glass of champagne.

13. For me, I feel beautiful when I'm just resting. I think that's when you really get a chance to sink into your own skin.






14. I really love laughing.


15. My mom was black and my dad is Jewish, and I lost my mom when I was seven. That made me feel really different from other kids.




16. I'm such a people-pleaser that I'm sure I wouldn't let anybody see the things that are going on in my head.


17. There are days when I wonder why my mom couldn't be here to see this.

18. I don't get nervous because it's "Saturday Night Live", I get excited because it's "Saturday Night Live".


19. I'm incredibly sensitive about it. Any person in my life can tell you, we don't broach the subject.

20. I never thought I'd get a chance to do what I'm doing. It's such a dream.

21. Without a doubt in sketch comedy there are fewer women than men.

22. I get anxious. That lovely Jewish guilt that comes with ancestry.



23. I think that people who don't like kids are awful people.

24. Before I had children, everything about my life was devoted to "Saturday Night Live".

25. I like comedy as a group sport.


26. I don't think of myself as a lady humorist. I just have boobs and parts that allow me to give birth to children, but I like to be funny with the boys and the girls.






27. I still have a fantasy of being a musician when I grow up.


28. When they told me I got the show, I had two weeks to move to the East Coast. It was all so last-minute. But, it was the best way to go, because I didn't have time to think about it. And, I'm glad it happened that way, because I can't imagine a better fit.

29. You don't want to be the first person to tell your 5-year-old, like: "You're going to have a life filled with disappointments and letdowns - enjoy!"



30. I was a loud child, and if my mother sang to me, I would be quiet.


31. I've met people who are baffled by children, as though they were never children themselves.










32. I've been writing joke songs since I was a kid and it served me well at S.N.L. I can write those in my sleep. In fact, I have.



33. I've never set out to write a funny movie or be a funny comedian as a woman. I am a woman. I don't really have a choice in the matter. My goal is just to be funny.


34. When I was a little girl, I would stand on the side of the stage and watch my mom singing out there in beautiful gowns. She was such a diva in the most esquisite sense. I always had the idea of wanting to be on stage, in those beautiful gowns, with a microphone in my hand, and that comes from my mom.

 35. I would love it if you would come in and teach me how to really do you.

 36. I don't know if comedy is a male sport. I always wondered that.


37. If my time with my kids is shorter than it was yesterday, it's better than nothing.

38. Most of my life I didn't feel very normal. There's definitely been some moments where I feel like, all right, I've finally graduated and I'm a normal lady.

39. To grow up with the loss of your mother is a scar that never goes away.

40. I feel like I'm a drag queen.



41. If my mother didn't have a natural gift to be a singer, I think she would have been a comedian. That's nice to know.


42. The comedy was always there. There's this moment I remember from when I was seven or eight: I was with a friend and she started to cry, and I just started talking in a funny voice. I thought: "This is much better than feeling bad; I want to make her feel good." And, she started to laugh.





43. Lord knows I had what you could call many fashion Don'ts in my day.

44. I thought she was the funniest woman, and I believed being a comedian was the most exciting thing you could be.


45. To have your childhood dream realized is a really big deal.



46. I have an equal opportunity womb!



47. I feel like I come from a smaller off shoot of black people because I am mixed. People say I'm African American but that doesn't include the other half of me.





What do you think of Maya Rudolph's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts