Bruno Mars On Cocaine Arrest

Bruno Mars (real name: Peter Gene Hernandez) talks about his cocaine arrest and his songwriting in the April issue of GQ.

Asked to reflect on his 2010 arrest in a hotel bathroom, Mars, 27, is quoted as saying: "I was young, man! I was in f*cking Vegas. I wasn't thinking."

Mars was also terrified about the consequences.

"I was given a number one record and I'm out doing dumb sh*t," Mars explains.


At the time, Mars revealed to the police it was his first time he had used drugs, something he now admits was a lie: "I don't know where that came from. I was really intoxicated. I was really drunk. So a lot of that is a big blur, and I try every day to forget and keep pushing."




More recently, Mars made a huge hit with his song "Locked Out of Heaven," which, like much of the album "Unorthodox Jukebox", is about sex.


"It feels good to sing about. It feels... sexy. It puts you in a sexy frame of mind. It feels good to project," Mars reveals, adding: "Sex is a great party starter."





"You know how hard it is to write a big song? That sh*t is hard, man. It's so hard to do. Might be one of the hardest things ever to do," Mars continues.

"I don't ever want to come out with something safe and get away with "It sounds good!"" he claims. "It's got to be more than sounding good. The music I like are events."


Mars cites songs like "Bohemian Rhapsody," "Billie Jean," and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as the type of world-shaking anthems he wants to emulate.




Asked for the secret to a good song, Mars states: "Sh*t. For me? Hypnotize me in the very first three seconds, wake my ear plate up, give me something that I haven't felt before...and then punch me in the f*cking face."

Check out more from Bruno Mars over at GQ!



Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts