Denzel Washington Republican ?

Just in case you wonder if Denzel Washington (full name: Denzel Hayes Washington) is republican, the answer is that he is not.



Washington, 58, has not openly declared his political affiliation. So, some people suppose that he is republican while others speculate he is democrat.

The reason why some beleive that Washington is a republican is that
he is still a hardcore Christian conservative who grew up in an extremely religious household -  his father was a Pentecostal preacher and gospel singer He has even thought of becoming a preacher but he finally decided to "send a good message" with his film work. 


It has to be noted that Washington claimed in 1999: "A part of me still says: "Maybe, Denzel, you're supposed to preach. Maybe you're still compromising." I've had an opportunity to play great men and, through their words, to preach. I take what talent I've been given seriously, and I want to use it for good."

"My father was a Pentecostal minister for 50 years. We would say prayers for everything and end with: "Amen, God is love..." The fundamental message is in the Bible, which I've read three times from front to back... If you don't practice love, you're missing the point. I believe in love thy neighbor," Washington was quoted as saying.


We should not forget that Washington has donated $30,800 to the Obama campaign and defended the president, stating: "I don't think it's just directed at Obama, I think people are frustrated. You've got to blame somebody, and he's the boss - he's got the big target on his head. I think there's a desire for checks and balances, so now there's a Republican party in Congress, and a Democratic party in the Senate, and a Democratic president, I think it now forces them all to work together. He's a staunch Democrat, but with perspective and class".


On the other hand, Washington hasn't accused film legend, Clint Eastwood, over his empty chair routine at the Republican National Convention. Quite the contrary..."I have the utmost respect for him as an actor and as a director," Washington revealed. "He's my hero."

He describes himself as an independent and doesn't take anyone's side.

"I listen to both sides of the argument and try to make an assessment," Washington was quoted as saying.

To conclude, Washington doesn't talk too much about his political views. Given his religiosity, one might estimate he is republican but that is just an assumption. Washington is a democrat as he fully supports Barack Obama.



Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts