Lucille Ball Quotes

1. I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.


2. I have an everyday religion that works for me. Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.

3. Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead.


4. The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.

5. One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn' t pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself.

6. I'm not funny. What I am is brave.



7. If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it. The more things you do, the more you can do.


8. In life, all good things come hard, but wisdom is the hardest to come by.

9. Ability is of little account without opportunity.


10. It's a helluva start, being able to recognize what makes you happy.





11. Luck? I don't know anything about luck. I've never banked on it and I'm afraid of people who do. Luck to me is something else: Hard work - and realizing what is opportunity and what isn't.

12. Use a make-up table with everything close at hand and don't rush; otherwise you'll look like a patchwork quilt.


13. How "I Love Lucy" was born? We decided that instead of divorce lawyers profiting from our mistakes, we'd profit from them.


14. I think knowing what you cannot do is more important than knowing what you can.

15. You see much more of your children once they leave home.

16. Women's Lib? Oh, I'm afraid it doesn't interest me one bit. I've been so liberated it hurts.


17. I hate failure and that divorce was a Number One failure in my eyes. It was the worst period of my life. Neither Desi nor I have been the same since, physically or mentally.


18. I am a real ham. I love an audience. I work better with an audience. I am dead, in fact, without one.

19. I will never do another TV series. It couldn't top "I Love Lucy", and I'd be foolish to try. In this business, you have to know when to get off.


20. I'm sometimes scared of everything that has happened to us. We didn't think Desilu Productions would grow so big. We merely wanted to be together and have two children.

21. People either have comedy or they don't. You can't teach it to them.


22. Politics should be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage.





23. Responsibility is the ability to respond.

24. I'm happy that I have brought laughter because I have been shown by many the value of it in so many lives, in so many ways.


25. I think knowing what you cannot do is more important than knowing what you can do. In fact, that's good taste. 


26. My God, I'm outliving my henna. 


27. Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.

28. Heaven, no. I was shy for several years in my early days in Hollywood until I figured out that no one really gave a damn if I was shy or not, and I got over my shyness. 


29. A man who correctly guesses a woman's age may be smart, but he's not very bright. 






30. What we did on "I Love Lucy" was not slapstick. I worked with the Three Stooges years ago, and they were masters of slapstick, so I know what slapstick is.

31. The best thing I learned from working with the Stooges was when to duck! It's true. Your timing has to be right so that you don't get hurt in the scene. The Stooges were always teaching people on the set how to duck.


32. You spell Bob Hope C-L-A-S-S.



33. I don't do T & A very well because I haven't got much of either. 



34. (About Edith Head) Edie knew the truth about all of us. She knew who had flat fannies and who didn't - but she never told.

35. You were taken in charge and trained. They have none of that today any place. I regret the passing of the studio system. I was very appreciative of it because I had no talent. Believe me. What could I do? I couldn't dance. I couldn't sing. I could talk. I could barely walk. I had no flair. I wasn't a beauty, that's for sure.


36. Desi (Desi Arnaz) was the great love of my life. I will miss him until the day I die. But I don't regret divorcing him. I just couldn't take it anymore.


37. (on Buster Keaton) He taught me most of what I know about timing, how to fall and how to handle pros and animals.

38. (on Liza Minnelli) She's a great trooper, Liza, I wish I had her talent. If anybody's going to take over from me, it's her. She's got a mind like a trip hammer and huge vitality. She's great.


39. (on Julie Andrews) I mean, you in Britain have some of the best comediennes. Julie Andrews is a comedienne - oh yes she is!




40. (on Audrey Hepburn) She's a tomboy and a fine comedienne. You'd never think of her being able to do my type of comedy. But she can. She has great energy, frail as she looks. But, well, she's so beautiful, so ethereal, it would be sacrilege to put her through it.

41. (About her meeting Desi Arnaz for the first time): It wasn't love at first sight. It took a full five minutes.



What do you think of Lucille Ball's quotes?




Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts