Morrissey Quotes

1. There's more to life than books, you know. But not much more.


2. I still don't belong to anyone - I am mine.

3. I was never young. This idea of fun: cars, girls, saturday night, bottle of wine...to me, these things are morbid. I was always attracted to people with the same problems as me. It doesn't help when most of them are dead.


4. Artists aren't really people. And I'm actually 40 per cent papier mache.





5. America is not the world.

6. Age shouldn't affect you. It's just like the size of your shoes - they don't determine how you live your life! You're either marvellous or you're boring, regardless of your age.


7. I normally live in Los Angeles, if you can call it normal living.





8. Age gives you a great sense of proportion. You can be very hard on yourself when you're younger but now I just think "well everybody's absolutely mad and I'm doing quite well".

9. I do think it's possible to go through life and never fall in love, or find someone who loves you.


10. Long hair is an unpardonable offense which should be punishable by death.

11. When I'm lying in my bed I think about life and I think about death and neither one particularly appeals to me.

12. I've never intended to be controversial but it's very easy to be controversial in pop music because nobody ever is.


13. Not everybody is absolutely stupid. Why on earth would I be racist, what would I be trying to achieve?


14. That's why I do this music business thing, it's communication with people without having the extreme inconvenience of actually phoning anybody up.

15. You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.


16. My parents were worried about me, certainly when I became so deeply interested in music and people like the New York Dolls who, at the time, were very peculiar indeed.





17. The Smiths was an incredibly personal thing to me. It was like launching your own diary to music.

18. That was the problem with the "celibate" word because they don't consider for a moment that you'd rather not be, but you just are. I was never a sexual person.


19. I do maintain that if your hair is wrong, your entire life is wrong.


20. I always thought my genitals were the result of some crude practical joke.

21. Whenever I go past Mcdonalds I get very, very angry.

22. If met Vic Reeves, I'd have no desire other than to smack him in the face.

23. Doing nothing gives me great pleasure. And believe me, I succeed wonderfully in it.


24. Life would be so colorful if only I had a drink problem.

25. (on Elton John) He is pushing his face in all the time and telling us about his private life. Nobody's interested. He should just go away.

26. I am capable of looking on the bright side - I just don't do it very often.


27. Bob Geldof is a nauseating character. Band Aid was the most self-righteous platform ever in the history of popular music.




28. I see myself rather like an old discarded dishrag.

29. (on Oasis) They are very tame to me. God bless Noel, I'm sure he'll always have a spot on "Bob's Full House", but I search for something with more bite and rage.


30. (on awards ceremonies) The Brits are ghastly. I never would accept a Brit. It would be like Laurence Olivier being happy getting a TV Times award.


31. (on animal welfare) With people in the world such as "Jamie Oliver" and (TV chef) Clarissa Dickson-Wright there isn't much hope for animals.

32. I think I must be, absolutely, a total sex object. In every sense of the word.


33. (on mental health) I have seen one or two psychiatrists. They just sit and nod and doodle.




34. (on dance music) It's the refuge for the mentally deficient. It's made by dull people for dull people.


35. I'm just happy being dumpy. Dumpy, fat and middle-aged.




36. I'm not very good at being dull.

37. (on being pale and interesting) Yes I have had a tan, actually. I went to Los Angeles and got one there, but it didn't make it back to Britain. You're not allowed to come through customs with a tan.


38. (on Richard Madeley) He referred to me as an "insufferable puffed-up prat". This is a bit rich coming from a man who actually married his own mother.







39. Nothing is important, so people, realizing that, should get on with their lives, go mad, take their clothes off, jump in the canal, jump into one of those supermarket trolleys, race around the supermarket and steal Mars bars and kiss kittens.


40. (on hero worship) I've always assumed there's a dark river flowing beneath my fans' desires.





41. (on psychoanalysis) (Sigmund Freud) just made people feel so neurotic about their lives. I mean, if you dreamt about a lampshade, it meant you wanted to be whipped by the local vicar or something.


42. (on the music industry) In England, pop music seems now to be exclusively for children. If an artist is no good, why is it necessary to have that artist repeatedly rammed in our face?


43. Don't talk to me about people who are "nice" cause I have spent my whole life in ruins because of people who are "nice".


44. (on being miserable) What's the first thing I do when I wake up in the morning? Wish I hadn't.

45. I lost myself to music at a very early age, and I remained there.

46. (on The Cure) Robert Smith is a whingebag.

47. Music is like a drug, but there are no rehabilitation centres.


48. Well, I am an extremely beautiful person.

49. Sometimes I wish I was just a simple drunkard.

50. I just feel that when all is said and done, I am not insane.

51. I'd rather produce art than become art.


52. (on dying) I have an unswayable obsession with death. If there was a magical pill that one could take that would retire you from the world, I would take it.





53. I've gone through managers like people go through shredded wheat. Nobody looks after you.

54. (on his legacy) When they bury me in a church and chuck earth on my grave, I'd like the words: "Well, at least he tried" engraved on my tombstone.


55. I think I'm a realist. Which people who don't like me consider to be pessimism. It isn't pessimism at all. If I was a pessimist I wouldn't get up, I wouldn't shave, I wouldn't watch Batman at 7:30 a.m. Pessimists just don't do that sort of thing.

56. Obviously Madonna reinforces everything absurd and offensive… Madonna is closer to organized prostitution than anything else. I mean the music industry is obviously prostitution anyway but there are degrees.





57. But my life never really started at any stage - which I know you won't believe, but it's true - so it never really got stopped at any point. But obviously the past is what makes any person. It's because of YOUR past that you're sitting there now, with your list on your knee. Not because of the future or the present. I can't HELP thinking about the past.


58. Popular music is slowly being laid to rest in every conceivable way…the ashes are already about us if we could but notice them.




59. I'm constantly searching for the smoginess and dim-light of those old films.


60. I don't think I'm anyones's idea of Mr Universe, for example. Mr Cul-de-sac, perhaps.

61. Life is a difficult business, and most people find it to be actually impossible...even Jesus only made it to 33.

62. People like me prove that you can survive without romance, even though you end up a bit unbalanced and you tend to argue with your own reflection.


63. The idea of Jack The Ripper actually bing a determined and excitable lesbian would take the glamour out of the working-man's daily read. It's a weird world, isn't it ?



64. I would never, ever do anything as vulgar as having fun.


65. Sex is a waste of batteries.






66. I lie a lot - it can be really useful.

67. It said: "I'm dying of loneliness and need to be rescued else I'll sink into obscurity", which I did. I also put that I was mad, ugly, spotty and totally odorous. No reply.


What do you think of Morrissey's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts