The Japanese Aesthetics In Fashion: The Kimono

The Kimono is the most well known symbol of Japan.

Hello my friends! I was looking at photos in the morning when I suddenly found this image. I don't know why, but it caught my attention. A sense of high fashion and elegance combined with a touch of pop art culture due to the electric blue and electric yellow colours make this photo unforgettable.

As you can see, this look is influenced by Japanese fashion. The Kimono is the most well known symbol of Japan's visual culture. It is a traditional Japanese garment but over the years has been adopted by Western Civilization. 

You can watch many fashion bloggers and television personalities wear it in the morning paired with jeans for a casual look and also in the night as a dress. In my opinion, when I see someone rocking a kimono as a dress it reminds me of a robe or lingerie and that's because the clothing is made of silk. You can find, however,  kimonos in other textiles as well.

Kimono ( "ki" means: wear and "mono" means: thing ) means "something to wear".

Kimono was worn daily by geishas. There are many different styles depending on different occasions, such as parties, tea ceremonies, funerals and other circumstances. The type of the Kimono depends on a geisha's status. 

According to actress Lucy Liu: "The neck is kind of what's sexy in Japan, so you have to have to kimono a little bit back. It was just a whole different way of appealing to what was sexy."

Costume designer Coleen Atwood said of kimono: "I think the silhouette of the kimono costume will become engraved in people's minds. I do think there'll be lots of red accents in the near future. For me personally, I can't see myself flaunting around a geisha's uniform but it'll make me smile when I see what others do with it."

Have you ever worn kimono? If not, can you imagine yourself wearing it in the future ?





Comments

Popular Posts