Anne Hathaway Quotes

1. Loneliness is my least favorite thing about life. The thing that I'm most worried about is just being alone without anybody to care for or someone who will care for me.


2. It takes a minute for me to let my guard down, but once I do and I get to know someone, I'm very open, very trusting. Some might say too trusting, because considering the amount of money that can be made from selling gossip, I could be very easily taken advantage of.

3. What I've observed and what I've imagined - and definitely what I'm hoping - happens as you get older is that there's a mellowing, an acceptance that comes with time. I guess that I'll find out.



4. I believe I've always been a big believer in equality. No one has ever been able to tell me I couldn't do something because I was a girl.

5. I have no aspirations of world domination through the pop charts. None at all.

6. I grew up in a pretty large family. We were really close-knit, so I definitely want to have lots and lots of children.








7. I think fashion is a lot of fun. I love clothes. More than fashion or brand labels, I love design. I love the thought that people put into clothes. I love when clothes make cultural statements and I think personal style is really cool. I also freely recognize that fashion should be a hobby.

8. I kind of got my big break with "The Princess Diaries" and during the press rounds for that everyone asked me: "Did you always want to be a princess growing up?" And the truth was, no I wanted to be Catwoman.


9. I try to stay out of the spotlight as much as humanly possible, because I think that when actors, whether or not they've chosen it or it has been thrust upon them, are living very public lives, it affects your ability to get lost in their performances.

10. I was raised in a solidly upper-middle class family who had really strong values and excess was not one of the things that my family put up with. And there's something wildy decadent about the young-star lifestyle, and I just don't really see the point.

11. I was thrust into a really lofty, enviable, but isolated position with "Princess Diaries" in that I could carry a film before I really knew if I could act.




12. I'd love to be an artist that's multifaceted. At the moment, I am not. But wouldn't that be cool if I was like: "Yeah, let me pull out my guitar and play you a song." I would adore that. I am so far not gifted in that way. But I am a very hard worker and a very determined person, so who knows?

13. I'm pretty good at remaining calm during an emergency. My house burned down when I was 12, which made me really pragmatic about what needed to be done. But I can be bad in that I compartmentalize a lot of emotions and push them away to deal with them at a later date.





14. I've always believed in people's capacity for goodness. I still believe that people are good. What I'm not so trusting about anymore is their relationship to their own goodness.

15. I've honestly been really lucky. My only jobs have been babysitting and acting.

16. Mellow doesn't always make for a good story, but it makes for a good life.

17. It's definitely a thing to be sitting there, getting a pedicure, and you look over and someone is reading an article about an aspect of your life that you know is not true. It's weird, it's uncomfortable, but I don't see it changing anytime soon, so I should figure a way to laugh through it.

18. Quite frankly, I didn't become an actor to become a movie star. I have never dreamed about being the most famous person on the planet. I just want to do really good work.

19. So as long as I'm a working actor, I can improve. I want to work with people that frighten me and excite me, and characters that I don't believe I'm the best person for the part but I'm still gonna try anyway. Those are my favorite roles.

20. We assume that we've come so far as compassionate citizens of the world if we do choose to read the news, yet the attitude towards life can be one where we put blinders on and forget that there are civil wars going on. It's easy to forget that there are so many people starving to death every single day.

21. Weddings are important because they celebrate life and possibility.

22. There's something very addictive about people pleasing. It's a thought pattern and a habit that feels really, really good until it becomes desperate.

23. You can alter movie singing so much because you go into the recording studio and, just technology for recording has gotten so good, you can hold out a note and they can combine a note from take 2 and a note from take 8.

24. Whether or not you agree with Ayn Rand - and I have certain issues with some of her beliefs - the woman can tell a story. I mean, the novel as an art form is just in full florid bloom in "Atlas Shrugged." It's an unbelievable story. The characters are so compelling, and what she's saying is mind-expanding.

25. I was 17 years old when I was cast in "The Princess Diaries" . That film landed, and it landed big. And so I became identified with a role that wasn't really me. I've never had any problem with going to the lengths of what a film demands. You can tell that by my eyebrows in "The Princess Diaries".

26. I've intimidated men my entire life and it has nothing to do with fame.

27. I look my best after an entire hair and makeup team has spent hours perfecting me. When do I feel my best? When I haven't looked in a mirror for days, and I'm doing things that make me happy.

28. I really don't drink, I don't do drugs. I feel like right now I've been given so many opportunities I don't want to mess it up with those things…I think I was raised in a solidly upper-middle class family who had really strong values and excess was not one of the things that my family put up with. (on avoiding the hard partying young-star life style.)

29. College is such a unique time because you're learning a little bit how to be an adult. You're learning how to take care of yourself without parental influence, and you're exposed to so many great minds. I feel like I didn't even know how to think until I got to college. (on the importance of a college education.)

30. I got into this business to be an actress, to scare myself, and force myself into a place outside of my comfort zone. I have nothing against "The Princess Diaries" but it has been a brick wall at times for my career.






31. I think that fashion can be a lot of fun. I love clothes, but I recognize that it should only be a hobby. Some clothes that are more design-based look better on women with figures like wire hangers, because that's the nature of the design. I won't wear those clothes.

32. I'll be honest with you, it really, really, really annoys me, the image that's put out there for women. These tiny, tiny bodies, with absolutely no fat at all on them. It's unhealthy, plain and simple, and there are only a handful of women in the world who are naturally like that. It makes me sick.




33. I've worked with people and I've known people that were really competitive but I've always said that I take an Elizabeth Bennett philosophy of life, I laugh. I love my job but if it means hurting someone I won't do it.

34. I love working and I feel satisfied when I know I have literally given all the energy that I have. That being said, work is not my No. 1 priority. I don't think it can come at the expense of your family, your friends and your "significant other" if you have one.

35. Over the last few years I've learned that the Next Big Thing is something a lot of people wish and want for you, but what you wish for yourself is really important too.



36. I've had directors say to me: "You're the best actress for the role, but you've put on weight recently." If people can't understand you've put on five pounds, I don't want to deal with them.

37. She can act sweet, but she's fundamentally a predator (on her character "Lureen" in Brokeback Mountain - 2005).

38. I disagree with a couple of the stances of the Catholic Church. My older brother is gay and it's important for me to be able to love him completely and freely and it's important for me to spread beliefs in the world that are not going to limit people in their love. I can't support a religion that doesn't support my brother.



39. I'm very choosy! It drives my agent nuts.

40. It's not something that I have ever aspired to be or courted because I think the second that you say: "Oh, I am a role model and that's why I make the decisions that I make," you've kind of shot yourself in the foot. A role model is somebody that does things because of what they believe in regardless of what other people think. (Her views on role models)

41. Obsessing about weight is a big old waste of time.





42. Films are letting me get older, which is really nice, because there was always this fear of what happens when I stop being a teenager. But for everyone else, it was kind of a sharp left.

43. Kindness is really important to me in finding my own prince, so are patience and a sense of humor. Without those qualities he's no Prince Charming!

44. In Hollywood you have to be careful if you go above a six, then you're considered fat. I'm considered to be, I hope, an actress, and you can get away with a couple of extra pounds if you are trading on your talent instead of your sex appeal. I don't have time to be tortured about me weight.

45. I'm more proud of that film than anything I have created. (on Brokeback Mountain - 2005).

46. She is just divine. As a human being, she has basically accomplished everything that I want to do…It's not that she just gets inside the character, she's just absolutely at the center of all of her choices, of the truth of the character (on working with Meryl Streep in "The Devil Wears Prada" - 2006).




47. I cry terribly easily. Just a minute ago, I was reading an article about Kate Winslet in Vogue, and I love her so much, I started crying, realizing how great she is and how far I have to go.

48. I'm very aware of my own background. I'm Irish, French and then a little bit of everything else thrown in, ranging from German to native American. We're talking about tiny drops of blood.

49. I would like to kiss like Angelina Jolie.





50. The movie showed on planes it seems like forever.

51. I know, I can't believe it's an American either. I can do the accent, they wouldn't have hired me if I couldn't. I'm attached to it and we're trying to get financing for it. Jane Austen is one of the most special literary figures. I don't want to short change her in any way.

52. I haven’t really thought about it before but yes, why not. She’s great. It’s such a fairytale. (Anne Hathaway wants to play Kate Middleton in a movie / August 25, 2011)








53. I'm so bad, I interrupt everybody. I'm so obnoxious. I just get really excited when I talk, and especially when I talk to people who are fun to talk to, and I jump in at the end of every sentence and nobody ever gets to finish a thought.

54. Confidence is not something that blooms overnight. It takes time to develop - at least it has for me.

55. Can I tell you how grateful I am to Kate Middleton? Because she is such an advocate for dressing like a lady…I think for a few years that kind of slightly dirty look was adopted by Hollywood - you know, the stringy hair, homeless thing. And I really tried. I was like: "OK, I’m going to give that a go." it doesn’t suit me, I don’t suit it. I always looked kind of chubby.

56. I could have travelled the world with a backpack and would have gotten nothing from it. I was just this lost, timid person. I think people assumed that I was a girl searching for a happily-ever-after, when for me that's the least interesting part of the story. With Brokeback, I got to go beyond that.

57. You know what, you entertainment news journalists are dangerous. You take a little tiny thing and you blow it up into a new career!

58. There's a lot going on, but it's all really super-duper positive. I feel like I have a big fight coming up and everyone's giving me the thumbs-up and the "you'll-rock-it" fist pump. I have unbelievable support. (They're) making it extremely easy on me. (Anne Hathaway about hosting the Oscars show / February 24, 2011)




59. It's all been kind of wonderful and jovial. It turns out it takes a village to host the Oscars.

60. I can guarantee that if you're looking for someone to call people out, we're not your hosts. I think that humor is really difficult to pull off, and I'm not particularly adept at it. I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. Also, I don't mean to sound overly serious, but I am the youngest host in history and I have no business being cynical or calling anyone out. I certainly haven't earned the right to do that.

61. The show was pretty much laid out when we were asked. We were given a presentation. So we knew the concept behind the show and what the moving parts would be. We're not writing the jokes or the scenarios but we are collaborating with the writers to figure out what fits. It's so different doing live comedy, that's kind of the scariest thing about it. (Anne Hathaway about hosting the Oscars / February 22, 2011)

62. I am a girl without game because I don’t think that’s fair. I’m not interested in games. I’m a wear-my-heart-on-my-sleeve, fall in love-at-first-sight and go with it sort of girl. It’s all about having fun with someone and learning how to communicate with someone, in a way that you enjoy. (Anne Hathaway doesn't like to play love games with men / February 02, 2011)

63. I’m dying to be a mother. I’m not ready for it yet, but it’s one of the joys of life that I’m looking forward to so very much.

64. I’ve always been such a driven person. I work very hard and right now I’m trying to find a balance. On the one hand there’s my job, which I love and which has been my everything for so long, and then there’s making sure the people in my life feel loved and appreciated, and that I spend enough time with them. Let’s say I’m learning to walk the walk.

65. These are people who have no trouble taking their clothes off - in a way, their bodies are their currency. But they’re terrified of exposing their vulnerability, of becoming emotionally naked. (Anne Hathaway had a tough time doing nude scenes in her upcoming movie "Love and Other Drugs" / October 20, 2010)

66. I was a wreck from start to finish. I think I cried every single day. (Anne Hathaway saying filming her new movie Love and Other Drugs with Jake Gyllenhaal proved therapeutic as it helped her to confront her feelings / October 18, 2010)

67. I thought the Nigella reference was actually very helpful, the way she's so passionate about food, and especially her descriptions of it, that definitely helped me in the cooking scene, more so than the other scenes, but especially when she's in the kitchen.

68. I got really into Debbie Harry and so I was listening to a lot of Blondie and all of that... It was the idea that someone can look so sweet yet still be very tough and fierce and I think Debbie Harry sums that up pretty much.

69. I was looking at the whole Grace Kelly look, but I wanted her to be a bit more punky - so Debbie Harry was perfect.

70. I owe so much of my career to luck. My mother always told me that luck is preparation meets opportunity and I've been given extraordinary opportunities to work with filmmakers long before I was talented enough and deserved to work with them. I've learned a lot from them. I just keep getting hired. I consider myself lucky and I don't know who is responsible for it.

71. I'm very friendly with everyone. One of my closest friends is Emily Blunt, who I met on the set of "The Devil Wears Prada". We instantly hit it off and have become really close. She's just about my best friend. She's such a delight and a wonderful girl.

72. I started watching Tim Burton films when I was a child, so to show up every day and work with him and Johnny Depp was amazing. I had so much fun. It was great because in Wonderland everyone is totally mad yet no one realizes it. See the film and you'll understand. The whole experience was a dream come true.




73. I am misquoting her but Nigella is always talking about (does an impression) "a cacophony of flavors that enters your mouth". You know, I wanted to give the White Queen a sensuality in the kitchen and of course she's talking about buttered fingers and things like that and makes herself wretch so it's not quite the same.

74. I think I've got really weird features, I have very large features on a very small head. But, you know, I'm not going to beat myself up. It's my face. I'm not very pretty. But that's OK because I do know that I look like myself, and I think at the end of the day, as nice as pretty is, authenticity is more important. If I don't work out at all, I have too much curve and no tone - which is not OK. It's about finding balance.

75. I don't diet. My life keeps me slim but you have to be a bit careful. In Hollywood, if you are bigger than size 6 you're considered fat. I'd like to get on a schedule where I can work out more - I'm too busy to go to the gym and I don't have time to prepare my own food so we go out a lot. But I try to walk everywhere, I love walking my dog Esmeralda - she really helps me - and I take stairs whenever possible. (2008)

76. It's a tremendous achievement that the New York Stock Exchange in such a quick way has responded to changes in the marketplace.

77. Love is a human experience, not a political statement.

78. (It was) a psychological terrorist...the suit, thoughts of my suit, changing my life so I would fit into that suit...it dominated my year. I went into the gym for ten months and didn’t come out. Cheese is amazing (but) once you’re over the cheese hump, there’s nothing really left. (on her Catwoman costume and working for it - Allure magazine)

What do you think of Anne Hathaway's quotes?

Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts