Rita Hayworth Quotes

1. All I wanted was just what everybody else wants, you know, to be loved.


2. Every man I knew went to bed with Gilda... and woke up with me.



3. We are all tied to our destiny and there is no way we can liberate ourselves.

4. Increasingly, stars are recruited from the ranks of professional models, with the result that today's starlets are better dressed and better groomed than ever before, though it is doubtful if they are better actresses.

5. No one can be Gilda twenty-four hours a day.

6. Sensitive, shy - of course I was. The fun of acting is to become someone else.


7. In front of people Harry Cohn would say: "I never put a hand on her", of course he hadn't - as if I would let him!






8. I always considered myself as a comedienne who could dance.

9. My growing up really started with Orson Welles. He was a brilliant man, a stimulating man, a man with whom I was deeply in love and who was in love with me.

10. When you're in love you're living, you matter.

11. I think all women have a certain elegance about them which is destroyed when they take off their clothes.


12. Sometimes when I find myself getting impatient I just remember the times I cried my eyes out because nobody wanted to take my picture at the Trocadero.



13. Orson was trying something new with me but Harry Cohn wanted "The Image"-The Image he was gonna make me 'til I was 90!

14. The world was magic when you were with him. (on Aly Khan)

15. It was the happiest time I've ever known. This was the quiet interlude when we were a family; there was a sense of continuity, of calm and belonging, which is terribly important to me. (on the time shortly after giving birth to her and Aly Khan's daughter Yasmin)


16. I had loved Aly so much that leaving him was almost unbearable. It was so easy to love him. It was very hard to get him out of my heart. But it was a step I knew I had to take.



17. Who wouldn't prefer having breakfast in bed to getting up at the crack of dawn and having a cup of coffee in a studio makeup department?

18. If he could have ever been in love with anyone, I think Harry Cohn was secretly in love with me.

19. When I look back on my marriages, or the breakups, sure I know the pain I went through, but that's part of life and it has its own value.


20. We've travelled together, lived together - we're everything to each other. I'm strict, they respect me, but I also respect them and we have fun. (on her two daughters Rebecca and Yasmin)

21. Whatever you write about me, don't make it sad.

22. I did not have everything from life. I've had too much!

23. (when asked what had held up her dress in Gilda (1946)) Two things.

24. What surprises me in life are not the marriages that fail, but the marriages that succeed.

25. Basically, I am a good, gentle person, but I'm attracted to mean personalities.


26. Every actor, every director, everybody needs an Oscar. You have to have that little statue in Hollywood, or else you're nothing!





27. (on why she divorced Orson Welles) I can't take his genius any more.

28. (Early in her career about husband Eddie Judson) "I owe everything to Ed. I could never have made the grade in Hollywood without him. I was just too backward. My whole career was his idea."


29. Reporter: "What do you think when you look at yourself in the mirror after waking up in the morning?" Rita Hayworth: "Darling, I don't wake up till the afternoon." (1974)



30. Dancing in Tijuana when I was 13 - that was my "summer camp." How else do you think I could keep up with Fred Astaire when I was 19?"

31. Movies were much better in the days when I was doing them.


32. I'm an afternoon person.

33. Just because I was married to Aly Khan, people think I'm rich. Well, I'm not. I never got a dime from Aly or from any of my husbands.

34. I've had a lot of unhappiness in my life - and a lot of happiness. Who doesn't? Maybe I've learned enough to be able to guide my daughters.


35. (1974, when asked what she thought when she looks at herself after waking up in the morning) Darling, I don't wake up 'til the afternoon.


36. I wanted to study singing, but Harry Cohn kept saying: "Who needs it?" and the studio wouldn't pay for it. They had me so intimidated that I couldn't have done it anyway. They always said: "Oh, no, we can't let you do it. There's no time for that; it has to be done right now!" I was under contract, and that was it.




37. I rode on horseback, though I was terrified of them. That was when I was doing westerns. They were something else again. And I did them because that was work, that was my job. So I don't start from the top.


What do you think of Rita Hayworth's quotes?

Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts