Laura Branigan Quotes

1. (on the "Power of Love") It's the kind of song that takes every ounce of my being, every minutia of anything that's inside of me, emotionally and vocally, to sing. I have to give everything I have.


2. I never knew I could sing so well, but I started training about a year ago, and since then my range has increased, and I've built up my stamina, which is very important with a big voice and large range. You've got to be able to sustain it, and you can't unless you sing properly.


3. I mean, my first song, hit was "Gloria", and that came out of the gay clubs. It's more of a celebratory song, you know. That's the way people see it. But, it came, radio resisted "Gloria" for a long time. And then, the gays jumped on it. It was very European sounding.



4. Actually I am very fortunate for the nourishing childhood, that I have had the chance to live. We are five children: three boys and two girls. Everyone has a passion for nature. I love walking barefoot in the grass and going for long horseback rides.


5. When I sang "Power of Love" in the studio, you know, sometimes when you hit the big notes, the air goes to your head. I fainted. It's also the vocal power. If you hit the vocal power right, it shoots to your head. It comes from here (diaphgram) and it shoots up, and sometimes it hits you so hard, that you get dizzy.



6. There's nothing more satisfying for a vocalist, to find a song that's just packed with all of that emotion and have the vocal range as well. So that you're completely wrung dry when you're through singing it. I think that pain is the greatest, the most powerful emotion in the world. Reaching an audience through pain... the greatest thing is to see them sit there and cry.


7. Pleasing to our ears and to our palates, it's the fainting Laura Branigan, makes hits in the kitchen, next with our Jennifer Morris.





8. The Chinese are (big fans). I have a huge international following.



9. Shanghai is beautiful. I love it there.

10. I don't think of the Grammy nominations as much as I think of getting, GETTING THAT HIT! And, getting that right song that will satisfy me artistically, vocally and yet have the commercial quality. Sometimes you get the artistic and it doesn't go commercially, and sometimes you go way too commercially and it just sounds like it's not you, which I've done.

11. You know, the thing, when you chop garlic for a couple of hours, or an hour and you go to bed. And, in the middle of the night, you wake up and you (smells her hands) your hands. So, you put lemon on your hands, to get rid of it. That's a tip.

12. I eat everything in site!


13. I signed a film contract that makes me the happiest girl in the world. In August, this year, I'm off to Australia to make a film with Mel Gibson! I completely ecstatic, as to me, Mel Gibson is one of the most attractive men there are! His blue eyes wow!




14. I want to touch people's hearts, to get right down to their souls.


15. I'm going to Korea. I play Westbury this weekend. This coming weekend, on the 20th. And, the 19th I'm at Fernwood, in the pocanos. And, then after that I go to Korea. And, Singapore, and Shanghai.








16. (on her favorite stars) He (Mel Gibson) is, without hesitation! On the woman's side, a French woman Isabelle Adjani. She is amazing. And, "The Story of Adele H" is a movie I've seen countless times!




17. I want to move people the way Edith Piaf did.


18. When I'm, if I'm stressed out about something, I'm like (ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta) chopping up things. I love cooking. I love it to relax, and to have fun. I think it's, the greatest thing to have a bunch of friends over, get the wine out, start cooking.


19. I've always loved music, but growing up, I was painfully shy. I could never imagine having the courage to stand up on stage, alone. I favored sports. In fact when I was in high school, we received a proposition for me to train to get into the American team for the Olympic Games... in two specialties; swimming and running! You see, I was really far from the idea of becoming a performer...

20. Right now I'm devoting all my energy to promoting "The Lucky One", but I'll come back early 85 to give a series of concerts throughout Europe. Of course, I also sing in Paris. You know I dream of singing alone in Olympia. For me, it is the most prestigious of all France's rooms. Maybe because Edith Piaf sang there often, and I always had a huge admiration for her. She was truly the greatest of all! The first time I came to Paris, it was as a backing singer for Leonard Cohen. I was behind him. I assure you that we were nervous, tight throats on opening night, imagining that Edith had sung here in the Olympia before us. "The Lucky One" in French, means "The lucky girl." I believe, at this moment, the "The Lucky One" is me!

21. Janis because the producers didn't file with Equity properly. I was sort of relieved. My voice isn't anything like Janis Joplin's, and there were 19 of her songs in the show.







22. I'm cooking tonight, something special. It's a very light, summer thing, with garlic. I love garlic. I love sauces. And, I like things that take a long time. And, garlicy.


23. I was in the choir, in my high school and I had a great singing teacher. In fact, it was that teacher who convinced me that music was my life. Thanks that intervention, I realized that my shyness vanished completely when I was on stage. So I dropped the out of the top-level sport. Though, while continuing to play squash and tennis, I devoted myself fully to what has to become my life. I also took some acting classes... which today, is very useful to me.

24. I want a place where I can have horses.


What do you think of Laura Branigan's quotes?


Feel free to comment and share this blog post if you find it interesting!

Comments

Popular Posts